Pages

Sunday 6 May 2012

REVIEW: American Pie: Reunion

I'm going to be honest, when I was doing my "films to look forward to in 2012" post at the beginning of the year, American Pie: Reunion was not one that was very high on my list. I was a bit confused by it - a sequel to an original film that was released 13 years ago with the same gross-out/teenage humour aimed at a now more grown-up and mature audience. How was the film going to work? Well, I can safely say that I was wrong. American Pie: Reunion is definitely a film aimed at those of us who have grown up with the original films (not those redundant Straight-to-DVD releases) and was a film full of nostalgia and fun. While watching it, I couldn't help but think back to where I was thirteen years ago, when the first film was released...

If you care, the film brings back all of the favourites from the first film, Jim (Jason Biggs), Michelle (Alyson Hannigan), Oz (Chris Klein), Finch (Eddie Kaye Thomas), Kevin (Thomas Ian Nicholas), Stifler (Seann William Scott), Vicky (Tara Reid), Heather (Mena Suvari), Stifler's Mom (Jennifer Coolidge), Jim's Dad (Eugene Levy), MILF Guy #2 (John Cho)....... and so on. The film is full of nostalgia and concerns the characters revisiting old hotspots from their high school days and comparing their teenage lives to that of modern day teenagers. Of course, it wouldn't be American Pie if they didn't get themselves into silly situations (like Jim having to return his half naked 18 year old neighbour without her parent's noticing), but the film also has a heart to it (mostly, scenes between Jim and his Dad where they talk about the passing of his Mom and even more relationship/sexual advice!)

By looking at the cast, and the damn good job they did of getting near enough every actor and supporting actor back for this film, you would think that the film is a strong ensemble piece, like the first film was. However, that's the one downfall for Reunion. The film focuses heavily on the main five boys, Jim, Oz, Finch, Kevin and Stifler (who really steals the show in most scenes), but kind of leaves the others (especially the girls) relegated to the sidelines. Some supporting actors, most notably Nadia (Shannon Elizabeth), Jessica (Natasha Lyonne) and Sherman (Chris Owen) are just given screen time amounting to about 30 seconds each. Some of it is really blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of stuff or something there to just put a smile on your face.
The main issue with only focussing on the five main boy is that we miss some of the girls stuff, which is what made the first American Pie great and produced some of the best comedy - we see how deluded boys can be with their sexual conquests while the girls were more grounded and sentimental. In Reunion, there is some major drama missing when Jim and Michelle fall out, because we only really see Jim's side and don't truly understand how much it has upset Michelle.

Now, you may be thinking - what the hell is he going on about?! This is American Pie!
Of course it is. And despite having a new team behind the latest film, it does not fall flat with any of the comedy or light-hearted moments. Stifler stole the show most of the times with his brain-dead reasoning - the best example being when he decides to completely trash some young teenagers jet ski's because...? Well, "because they splashed us."
The boys get up to their usual awkward moments as well - the main one that I have already highlighted involving Jim and his half-naked next door neighbour. However, what made me enjoy the film the most was just how "feel-good" it was - it really reminded me of those days when I was younger when I would just sit and watch one of the original American Pie films to just switch off and put myself in a good mood.  Basically, like I've said before, it was just a really good nostalgia trip while I was watching it in the cinema. As the characters on-screen reminisced about their time in high-school, I found myself thinking the same afterwards about my own time in school and college. I kind of feel old now, but it really is a good feeling to have looking back fondly at past memories.

So, overall I was completely wrong about my doubts over American Pie: Reunion. It has made me want to sit back down and watch the original films (and maybe American Pie: The Wedding, if I have time.) While it is nowhere near a perfect film, it's one to just sit back, relax and let the good times roll to.

*** / *****

No comments:

Post a Comment